PDA

View Full Version : Living aboard

Lake Mead Yachter
06-04-2006, 09:32 AM
Hi everyone, I would like some input on this. I am considering taking my family and living aboard a boat or yacht on Lake Mead, NV. There are 3 of us, me, my teenage son, and my mother.

The cost of a median home in Las Vegas is now well over $300k. I have been looking at boats for sale with slips (you have to buy one with a slip or it is a 5-10 year waiting period). I have several options....buy a good boat and use it, or buy an old boat, trash it, and use the slip for my new boat.

Prices for motor yachts on Lake Mead run from $150k-up. A nice 40 ft is about $350k. Houseboats range from $50k-up, but many of them need a lot of work.

What do you think my best option would be?

Fish Bone
06-12-2006, 03:45 PM
You may want to keep your options open on the living aboard. It seems like a good idea, untill you find out just how small that big boat is. I know some like living on a boat but a lot who try it, end up getting back on land for there regular residence. If you really like boating, living on a boat full time can take away some of the carm that made you fall in love with boating. This may not be the case with you, however have a backup plan.

Kev
06-13-2006, 08:21 AM
ha! so the slips are to control the number of active boats on the water?

I agree with fish bone, even the big boats seems pretty small when you come home to it each day.

Lake Mead Yachter
06-13-2006, 10:09 AM
This is something I have thought about....but I really think that if I bought one, I would never be home!

I will keep you all posted as I make my decision and research my options.

Fish Bone
07-22-2006, 07:05 AM
I had a friend that took early retirement and set out for a South American adventure with his wife on a 40 ft. sailboat. After six months his wife could not handle the confining quarters. When he returned he said that he did not know if his wife would ever get back on the boat again. That has been two years ago, I have not spoke to him since to see if she got back on. I think I call him and see how things are going.

Lake Mead Yachter
07-22-2006, 09:35 AM
Yeah, let me know...I like to hear these kinds of stories to help make my decision.